Regular Household Garbage
This service is provided by Rowayton's local government, the Sixth Taxing District
The 6TD contracts with AFK Karting for garbage and refuse collection. This service is weekly for nine months of the year; it is twice a week in June, July and August. Please see the schedule below.
Route #1 Wilson Avenue and all streets south, plus the section of Rowayton Avenue from the cannon to Cudlipp Street traffic light
Route #2 All remaining streets north of Wilson Avenue.
|June 1 – September 1||September 1 – May 31|
Route#1 – Mondays, Thursdays
Route#2 – Tuesdays, Fridays
Route#1 – Mondays
Route#2 – Tuesdays
Location Curbside by 6 AM. Please bring in garbage cans after they are emptied.
Contents Garbage to be placed in refuse cans or plastic bags.
The district reserves the right not to collect refuse unless it is in cans with tight lids, manageable by one person.
When there is a Monday holiday, collection will slide one day; i.e. Monday to Tuesday and Tuesday to Wednesday.
Holidays that are affected by this change are:
New Year’s Day,
4th of July,
When this happens, there will be no Wednesday collection leaf bags.
The collection schedule does NOT adjust for the following holidays:
Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
In the case of snowstorms or hurricanes, the transfer station might close for a number of days. In that situation pick up can be off for a number of days. This is totally unpredictable but does not happen very often.
This service is provided by the City of Norwalk. The City contracts out recycling services out to City Carting. For more information on recycling, please call 203-854-3200
Each property is provided with a large wheeled bin. Extra bins can be purchased from the City. These bins are to be wheeled to the curb and recycled materials do not need to be separated.
Rowayton's collection day is Tuesday
If your recycling collection day falls on any of the holidays listed below, there will be no service on the
If your normal pick up day is before the holiday; there will be no change to your collection schedule.
If your normal pick up day is on or after the Holidays listed below; your collection will be one day later.
For example, if the Holiday is a Monday: Monday pick up will be on Tuesday, Tuesday pick up will be on Wednesday, Wednesday pick up will be on Thursday, Thursday pick up will be on Friday and Friday pick up will be on Saturday.
Labor Day: Monday, September 6,
Thanksgiving: Thursday, November 25, 2021
Leaf and Brush Pick Up
This service is provided by Rowayton's local government, the Sixth Taxing District.
Leaves, brush and small branches can be placed in brown paper leaf bags or in garbage cans. Piles will not be picked up.
Leaf bag and yard debris collection is Wednesday from April through December. This pick up is subject to change based on the City of Norwalk hours of operation at the Smith St Transfer Station. If Smith Street is closed, AKF cannot collect yard debris. Be patient for a week. They will come back.
When there is a holiday, there will be no leaf collection that week (see the holiday schedule above under garbage collection).
Food Composting in Rowayton
• A new pilot program started in April 2020 in Rowayton that allows residents to dispose of their food waste so that it can be recycled.
• Large collection bins are available for individual drop-off of food waste at the Rowayton Community Center (33 Highland Avenue).
• We request all drop-offs to take place on Monday -- drop-offs on other days will only cause problems with vermin.
• Please review the graphics to understand composting and to determine what can and cannot be included in this program. Plastic bags and pet waste are not allowed.
• This pilot program is an initiative of the City of Norwalk with assistance from the 6TD.
• The food waste collection bins are located behind the Library and across from the equipment garage at the Community Center. The food waste may dropped off in paper, BPI compostable bags (see below) or loose in the bins. Please drop-off on Mondays.
• NO PLASTIC of any kind (bags, packaging, wraps) or PET WASTE is allowed. These both contaminate the compost.
• BPI compostable bags can be found locally at Whole Foods as well as online at Amazon and Target.
• If you have questions/concerns about something that can be collected, please email composting@Norwalkct.org
Household Hazardous Waste
The City of Norwalk and neighboring towns have Household Hazardous Waste Days starting in the Spring. We will post a schedule once it has been issued.